The topic for this week’s T10T is Upcoming Releases You’re On The Fence About. Instead, let’s talk about some backlist books/series that have been on my shelves since so long that I’ve lost interest. They’re taking up space on my shelves so I need to figure out whether to give them a try or let them go.
A lot of these books were acquired when I first discovered BookTube and just wanted to get and read ALL of the books. Some I did and found new favorites for life. Like The Lunar Chronicles, Throne of Glass series etc. Others I keep putting off. 🤷♀️
- Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor: I basically remember next to nothing about this one other than there’s a girl with blue hair, maybe?
- The Queen of the Tearling Trilogy by Erika Johansen: A young queen trying to reclaim her throne, lot of politics, I assume. I started losing interest probably around the time the final book in the trilogy came out and a lot of people seemed disappointed.
- Snow Like Ashes Trilogy by Sara Raasch: I think this one has 3 or 4 kingdoms/territories with different seasons year round? It’s been so long since I read the blurb.
- The Diabolic & The Empress by S.J. Kincaid: I had recently read (and fallen in love with) The Lunar Chronicles and Illuminae when I found out about this one. There was SO much hype around the first book back then.
- Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart: I received Genuine Fraud in a book subscription box last year. I had already read We Were Liars at that point and wasn’t too thrilled with it, I was quite uncomfortable the whole time reading it and the ending kind of shocked me but it also left me uneasy. So I wasn’t too keen on picking this one up anytime soon and well, the ratings on Goodreads aren’t very encouraging.
- Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris: A few years back I went through a phase. I realized a lot of the shows I was watching were adapted from books and I wanted to read the books and see exactly what was so amazing that they were chosen to be adapted. I was a few episodes into the first season of True Blood (more vampires!) when I read the first book in the series, Dead Until Dark, and found it lacking. I guess I was just expecting more. I haven’t felt like reading or watching the rest of the series though I own the next 7 books. Impulse buys, what ya gonna do?
- The Malediction Trilogy by Danielle L Jensen: I won the second book of this trilogy in a Goodreads giveaway back in 2015 then a few months later, I found the first one at a good price and another few months later, the third one. Once I had the complete trilogy, I just never got around to picking it up. I think there are witches and trolls in this one?
- The Cahill Witch Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood: This one is about 3 witch sisters. That’s about all I remember, another series I got because of BookTube.
- The Diviners & Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray: This too. So much hype on BookTube back in 2016, and the premise is still intriguing to me – a young girl with a supernatural power that could help catch a serial killer in 1920s New York? Yes, yes, still want to read this one but the size is so intimidating. 🙈
- Truthwitch & Windwitch by Susan Dennard: I think I had read and loved the first couple of Throne of Glass books around the time I got these, might have been because I discovered that the authors are the best of friends and really respect and support each other. Also, BookTube hype. I tried reading the first chapter of Truthwitch last year and it just wasn’t holding my attention.
I’m sure if I look deeper, I’ll find even more books on my shelves that I keep ignoring for newer releases or even more hyped books or beautiful covers that catch my eye. 😜 But I do own these and it wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t at least give them a chance.
So…have you read any of these books or other books by these authors? Did you enjoy them? If you see a favorite of yours on this list and think I’m missing out on something good, please tell me in the comments below!